Ozone Generator for Wastewater Treatment Plant
Wastewater Treatment Processes (WWTP) are used to treat municipal as well as industrial wastewater to meet effluent standards prior to discharge in the natural environment. Wastewater discharges from industrial sources contain a wide range in levels of COD, BOD, TSS and other emerging contaminants (i.e. pharmaceuticals, aldehydes, glycol, amines, alcohols, complex proteins, etc).
Disinfection of water using ozone is advantageous compared to more traditional methods, such as chlorine or UV disinfection. Firstly, ozone is more effective at deactivating viruses and bacteria than any other disinfection treatment, while at the same time requiring very little contact time, thus reducing the overall treatment residence time while simultaneously leaving no chemical residues.
Due to the high oxidation potential, ozone will effectively degrade microbes and virus, causing cell membrane rupture and decomposition of essential biomolecular components in for example bacteria. As can be seen in the image below ozone can be used to oxidize hydrocarbons of cellular lipid bi-layers to kill contaminant microbes.
As already stated above ozonation will enable efficient disinfection. The disinfection efficiency is commonly measured using the CT-value (concentration multiplied by time).
Advantages of Ozone in Wastewater Disinfection
- Ozone is more effective than chlorine in destroying viruses and bacteria.
- The ozonation process utilizes a short contact time (approximately 10 to 30 minutes).
- There are no harmful residuals that need to be removed after ozonation because ozone decomposes rapidly.
- After ozonation, there is no regrowth of microorganisms, except for those protected by the particulates in the wastewater stream.
- Ozone is generated onsite, and thus, there are fewer safety problems associated with shipping and handling.
- Ozonation elevates the dissolved oxygen (DO) concentration of the effluent.
- The increase in DO can eliminate the need for reaeration and also raise the level of DO in the receiving stream.
Ozone Engineers is a manufacturer of World Class Ozone Generator for Wastewater Treatment Plants, Ozone System for Wastewater Treatment Plants, Wastewater Treatment Plant Ozone Generator.