As already stated above ozonation will enable efficient disinfection. The disinfection efficiency is commonly measured using the CT-value (concentration multiplied by time).
Advantages of Ozone in Wastewater Disinfection
- Ozone is more effective than chlorine in destroying viruses and bacteria.
- The ozonation process utilizes a short contact time (approximately 10 to 30 minutes).
- There are no harmful residuals that need to be removed after ozonation because ozone decomposes rapidly.
- After ozonation, there is no regrowth of microorganisms, except for those protected by the particulates in the wastewater stream.
- Ozone is generated onsite, and thus, there are fewer safety problems associated with shipping and handling.
- Ozonation elevates the dissolved oxygen (DO) concentration of the effluent.
- The increase in DO can eliminate the need for reaeration and also raise the level of DO in the receiving stream.